Feb 4, 2013

The View from my Window #3


When I said in the last post that I wouldn’t have time to make another before Kumbh Mela, I hadn’t imagined that I’d arrive in Calcutta to find I’d been given another room with a view.





As I was washing myself, I looked out the bathroom window to find that at a sidewalk sink across the street several men were doing the same. The young man on the left is saying a prayer or giving thanks after his bath. …. I’ll try again tomorrow morning, but won’t be able to update the post because there’s no wi-fi anywhere near my hotel. It’s sort of stuck in 1937.




Regular readers know that I'm fond of inhabiting places in India that haven't changed since the time of the British Raj. As you can see above, my room at the Broadway Hotel has its original Bengali-red floor and dark wooden furniture. In the lobby the iron grill elevator is also unchanged for the past 75 years.


After my bath I had breakfast at a table by the window in the Broadway Hotel’s restaurant/bar. 

I leave for the great gathering, Kumbh Mela, the day after tomorrow!




No comments:

Post a Comment